Weigh Safe Drop Hitch with Tongue Weight Gauge
A Hitch Ball Mount with a Built In Tongue Weight Scale
Designed with towing safety in mind, the Weigh Safe Drop Hitch Ball Mount makes leveling your load quick and easy. The built in tongue weight gauge on the Weigh Safe hitch makes it easy to tell whether you’re in the red, meaning too heavy on the tongue, or the white, (below 100 lbs., meaning your to light. Both situations, having too little weight on your tongue or too much can seriously damage your trailer, your truck, your load, and even your life in the most dramatic of situations. At the very least, not having a properly adjusted load can affect your trucks performance and handling. And in the worst, it could cause an accident. This hitch makes adjusting your load super easy. And the color coated gauge tells you immediately if you’re too heavy on your hitch / tongue weight. On top of the great safety features, the Weigh Safe adjustable Ball Mount also comes with the ability to be dropped or raised anywhere from 4 to 10 inches. This makes hooking up various trailers super easy and again helps with balancing. Available for Shaft Sizes from 2” to 3”, including 2.5” size, if you’ve got a hitch, chances are good that the Weigh Safe will work for your truck. This drop hitch comes with a 2” ball and 2 5/16 inch ball as well. The adjustable slider is easily locked into position and comes with its very own dust lock cover for when you’re towing through dusty or dirty environments. And the hitch ball is designed to turn slightly with your receiver to prevent unnecessary wear and tear when corning. The pinnacle of trailer hitches has arrived. Get your Weigh Safe Adjustable Drop Hitch today!
Bullet Point Breakdown of the Weigh Safe Drop Hitch
No time to read this whole article? Just want the quick and dirty dets? “Too long; didn’t read” your fav acronym? Don’t worry. We hear ya. Here’s our Midwest Aftermarket Bullet Point Breakdown of the Weigh Safe Adjustable Ball Mount:
- Designed to make safe towing simple and easy
- Built in gauge measures tongue weight immediately
- Makes balancing your load super easy
- Adjustable from 4 inches down to 10
- Reversible: this Drop Down Hitch doubles as a Rise Up Hitch
- Available with a 2 inch, 2.5 inch, and 3 inch shaft size
- Made from 6061-T6 Aircraft Grade Aluminum
- Available with a 2”, 2.5”, or even a 3” shaft (measure you’re shank receiver just in case before ordering)
- Comes with both a 2” and 2 5/16” inch stainless steel ball mounts
- Available with a 4”, 6”, 8”, and even 10” adjustable drop or rise
- Adjustable in 1” increments to get your trailer lined up perfectly every time
- Both V5 certified and J684 compliant
- Made in the USA
- Weigh Safe is based out of Lindon, Utah
- Makes safe towing quick and easy
- Improper balance of load can lead to poor handling and even accidents in extreme situations
- Whether you tow with your Silverado 2500HD every day or just head to the lake in your F-150 Raptor with the boat once a month, Weight Safe will get you there safely
- Improve the safety of your hitch towing while maintaining a full useable truck bed
- Keep your tonneau cover closed, and still haul a massive load via hitch
- Helps you maintain a safe tongue weight of 1,000 lbs to 1,500 lbs.
- Regardless, you should never exceed the capacity of your tow vehicle, hitch, or any other truck accessories
- A great hook-up attachment for nearly any towing vehicle
- A great aftermarket part or replacement part for your old hitch
- Keep your performance and handling at performing optimally
- Improper tongue weight is one of the main causes of towing accidents
- Saves you from a trip to the weigh station every time you want to check tongue weight
- Built in internal hydraulic piston measures how much the trailer pushes down on your hitch ball
- As the piston drops in the oil, the pressure reading shows up on the scale
- Great for any towing vehicle, whether a Jeep Wrangler or Chevrolet Silverado
- Matches any chrome accessories, from step bars to fender flares, side steps to alloy wheels
- Looks good alongside matte black trim as well
- With free shipping, why not get your Weigh Safe from Midwest Aftermarket
- Quite possibly the best damn hitch on the market
- Super versatile, extra safe--an epic adjustable ball mount hitch
Weigh Safe Drop Hitch Adjustable Ball Mount with Tongue Weight Gauge
One of the most common issues and towing related questions we field is how can you make sure your load is balanced and you aren’t over your maximum load without say going to an actual weigh station.
And for good reason. One of my greatest fears when I hit the road pulling my trailer with my zero turn mower or a haul of lumber and drywall or just my compressor and my ladder and some tools, I’m always nervous that I’m going to be off balance or make a turn a little too fast and roll the trailer. I know in these specific cases, I’m probably not hauling enough to really get into that kind of trouble. But I have certainly noticed strange or poor handling in my Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT when I have my zero turn mower loaded too close to my trailer hitch.
Now that I have a Weigh Safe, I can tell right away when my trailer is mis-loaded and adjust accordingly.
Let’s breakdown how the Weigh Safe works.
First, it’s a hitch like any other. It has a ball and a receiver shaft. Easy peasey. Nothing new there.
But this particular hitch also has an adjustable drop or rise. So depending on what you are hauling, if you know you’re trailer sits low, you can use the drop, and if you have a boat or camper that sits higher, you can adjust accordingly.
The ability to read tongue weight on the fly wherever you are without a weigh station is achieved via that brilliant design of this hitch. Inside the hitch, the ball sits on a little piston. You pick the appropriate sized ball (2 inch or 2 and 5/16 inches both come in this set) to insert into the slide hitch and place it into position. Then lock it in by attaching the slide to the drop or rise hitch receiver. Use the key to lock the slide into position as well. Insert the shank into your tailgate receiver and lock it in as well. Of course, you could do this step first as well, and it is likely after your initial install that this will be the case.
Now if you’ve purchased the Universal Ball Mount, you have to zero out the Weigh Safe tongue weight scale by using the provided hex key. If you get the adjustable mount, which is on this page, you won’t have to do this step since the hitch is already calibrated.
Now you’re ready to attach your trailer. Make sure that you never exceed any of your weight limits. This could include your max weight capacity on your hitch, your tongue weight, your vehicle’s towing capability, and your GTW or Gross Trailer Weight. The weakest link could be any of these. So make sure you don’t exceed any of these weights.
Once your trailer is hooked up and loaded, go check the tongue weight gauge on your Weigh Safe. This will give you an accurate way to determine if you are in the safe zone for tongue weight for towing. To be in that safe zone, you need to have a tongue weight that is between 10% and 15% of your gross trailer weight. If you’ve below 10% then your tongue weight is too low. If you’re above 15%, or in the red, then your tongue weight is too high.
To adjust your balance, all you need to do is either move your load backwards or forwards on the trailer most of the time. Readjust the weight distribution accordingly and then check your Weigh Safe again to see if you’re in the optimal zone.
If you don’t get why tongue weight is so important, Weigh Safe actually has a pretty great demonstration using a scale model or three on their website and the YouTubes. Having too much tongue weight is going to increase wear and tear on your hitch and make your vehicle work harder to pull that load. This can be dangerous and affect your truck’s handling, whether you’re rocking manual transmission or automatic.
But where things really get dangerous is when you have too little tongue weight, believe it or not. Having your loaded trailer’s center of gravity farther back can cause the trailer to fishtail and go out of control. As demonstrated in their video, this is not a situation any truck owner should ever desire to be in.
And again, Weigh Safe makes hitting that optimal zone super easy, so you have added peace of mind and are able to tow whatever you’re hauling safely every time. No more need to carry additional equipment or a scale from your bathroom. The scale is built right in and easy to check every time you attach your trailer hitch.
So whether you’re rocking a Ford F150 or a regular cab Dodge Ram, a SVT Raptor or a High Country Chevy double cab, this is a great hitch for you. My buddy has one on his Ford F Series 350 HD and I’ve got one of my Silverado 1500. There aren’t a lot of things the two of us agree on when it comes to trucks. Weigh Safe is one of them.
Our Promise of Exceptional Service and the Lowest Prices on the Interwebs
When you’re ready to order your Weigh Safe Adjustable Ball Mount, we hope you’ll get yours from us here at Midwest Aftermarket. We only promote products we believe in and sell them at the lowest prices, shipping quickly to you for free if you’re in the lower 48 states. We have an excellent return policy and strive to get you the right product in perfect condition the first time.
What are you waiting for? Give us a call or place an order directly through our website. We’ll get your product out to you ASAP so you can enjoy your vehicle and make it your own. If you have a vision of what your truck or Jeep could be, let us help you achieve that image, that goal. We put aftermarket right at the tip of your fingers on your smartphone, web browser, and even via various apps, making ordering the parts you need super easy.
Let us help make your aftermarket dream possible. Let us help you build your dream machine. We want you to drive the truck or Jeep of your dreams right now. So when you get it installed and love it, make sure you share us some pics on social media so we can live vicariously through you. Because we too are aftermarket enthusiasts, truck and Jeep owners, who love and own many of the products we sell. In other words, we don’t just work aftermarket--we are aftermarket.
Midwest Aftermarket's collection of air intakes, pickup bed covers, truck running boards, and much more includes all the leading styles and brands. Midwest Aftermarket is the #1 online retailer for aftermarket truck and Jeep accessories, selling products at the lowest prices and providing the best customer service in the industry. With the goal to provide the highest quality product with the fastest shipping at affordable prices, look no further for your vehicle’s aftermarket accessories. From UTV’s to Jeep-fanatics to F150’s or Chevy Silverado’s, Midwest Aftermarket will give you the customer support you deserve. Ask us about our new 2 day shipping options available on many of our fine aftermarket accessories.