Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED Headlight / Fog Light Bulbs
Top of the Line LED Fog Light Upgrade
Whether you’re looking to replace your old school stock headlights or fog lights or are just in the market for a new bulb, Morimoto has you covered with their new and improved 2Stroke 3.0 LED Fog Light bulb replacement. These babies are plug and play, designed to replicated the beam pattern of OEM halogen bulbs, they are built to last significantly longer than standard bulbs or HIDs, making them much more cost effective overtime, and in most applications, they provide better illumination of the road ahead of you all while reducing glare at oncoming traffic. I lost count of how many wins and upgrades that is, but trust me, it’s a lot. And the 2 Stroke system has most major bulb sizes covered in new LED upgrades. Don’t worry. We’ll break down the numbers and science for you as well as just how much more you’ll be able to see at night once you these new and improved LED headlights installed on your vehicle in our review section. But for now, here’s the dirty dets just to get your mouths watering, cause if you’re as much of an aftermarket lighting junkie as I am, you already hit the order button. Just make sure you select the correct bulb replacement size before you do. Giggity!
Bullet Point Breakdown of the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED Headlight / Fog Light Bulbs
No time to read this whole article? Just want the quick and dirty dets? “Too long; didn’t read” your fav acronym? Don’t worry. We hear ya. Here’s our Midwest Aftermarket Bullet Point Breakdown of the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED Headlight and Fog Light Bulbs:
- A Direct Bulb Replacement LED
- Designed to replicate the stock beam pattern
- Increased visibility for night time driving
- Reduced glare for oncoming traffic
- No crazy glare HID’s here. These are controlled LED lights
- Manufactured to specific throw distance and beam pattern specifications to put light where you need it, not in the other lane and into the eyes of oncoming traffic
- Less energy draw than traditional headlights
- Many top quality LED’s, including the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0, will last upwards of 50,000 light hours, which may well be over the life of many vehicles
- Efficiently and well priced over time: while these LED’s may cost a few bucks more than traditional halogen bulbs, they last way longer and pay for themselves overtime
- Add in the superior lighting, and Morimoto’s NEW 2Stroke 3.0 is one of the most cost efficient fog lights around
- May not be street legal as a headlight replacement in your neck of the woods. Check local laws to be sure*
- A superior LED replacement for old school stock lights
- Actively cooled with a cyclone fan (included in housing)
- Simply one of the best buys you can make to upgrade your lighting solutions
*Definitely street legal as a fog light. Complicated when it comes to headlight replacement if you live here in the States (see review for details).
The Tech Specs
And for those serious lighting junkies out there, we thought we’d nail you with all the juicy numbers we techies love to drool over down here so we don’t annoy the other folks. You’re welcome, other folks and cool tech people:
- A NEW Industry Benchmark: only a 2 mm total emissions surface interval
- Morimoto is the lighting standard to beat
- 1.0 mm thick PCB core
- 300 𝝻m dielectric layer
- 140 𝝻m circuit pattern
- .43 mm Osram Oslon HKL351.TE LED chips
- 1.3 x 4.33 mm light emitting surface area
- 4.46 mm total cubic volume of light
- Simulates incandescent OEM’s as accurately and closely as scientifically possible
- In other words, about as close to a completely street legal OEM halogen bulb replacement as humanly possible
- Mirrors stock beam distribution pattern
- H11 and H9 Versions Only: OE specification tension spring built in
- Pushes bulb base down with 5 nm of force, properly seating the bulb to OE specs
- 360 degrees of rotation option when installing: light up emitters to 3 o’clock and 9
- Twist to lock in at 15 degree intervals
- A truly omni adjustable rotation mechanism
- Built in high speed cyclone internal circulation fan
- Runs at 12,000 RPM’s, circulating warm air away from the unit, through your housing, and back out again
- Prevents ice and snow build up while keeping your LED’s cool--a true win-win
- Operates as Daytime Running Lights via voltage regulation
- LED’s are designed to adjust their output based upon power input from your vehicle’s stock computer
- Logic board switches to 30% of the normal output to create the DRL effective lighting output
- 250 ma low power drive rate: puts out less light, down to 460 lm per LED emitter
- Note that DRL-Drive functionality is only for non-US markets at this time
- Covered by a three year warranty
- Not compliant with DOT / FMVSS108
- Street Legal Fog Light Application
- 9V - 16V input range under normal conditions
- 6 - 9 Volt input for Daytime Running Lights
- 790mA Normal Drive Rate
- 250mA input range for Day Time Running Lights
- 22 Watt power consumption
- 2,600 peak lumens at 25 degrees C
- Osram Oslon Black Flat S (KW HKL531.TE) LED chips
- <2mm PCB width (including LEDs)
- Light Temperature / Color: 5500K (pure white)
- DRL is triggered at less than 6 Volts
- 30% (or 780 lumens) DRL intensity compared to fully powered
- Diecast 6061 Aluminum Body
- Electroplate Finish
Review of the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED Headlight and Fog Light Bulbs
Let’s start with the really great aspects of LED lighting technology from Morimoto and finish with a bunch of common misnomers about LED’s and headlight laws, shall we.
For starters, you should replace your old school stock halogens with an LED lighting option yesterday. These styles of lights are simply superior all around. We have an entire lighting guide on the blog that covers all the reasons, so if you want to get into the technical aspects really deep, go check that out, but if you just want the truth and fast, that’s all you need to know: LED’s are superior in every way.
These LED’s are designed to last a long time, often upwards of 50,000 light hours, compared to as low as 500 - 1,000 light hours on old school halogens, and only 10,000 for the top of the line Xenon HID’s. So while LED bulb replacements might cost a bit more as an initial investment, overtime, they save you a lot of money.
Properly manufactured LED headlights and fog lights direct light where you want it directed, much as your stock lights do. Morimoto manufactures their 2Stroke 3.0 LED lights to mimic your stock OEM lighting solutions to throw light where the vehicle’s housing designed it to be thrown. When I say that to people at shows, I think they just smile and nod, cause it seems obvious, right? But remember that many HID upgrade kits out on the market today do not do this. In fact, chances are good that if you’ve ever seen those fancy blue lights coming at your down a dark highway at night and been temporarily blinded by them, then you will understand exactly why this fact is so very important. HID’s have the tendency to increase glare at your oncoming traffic, which is dangerous because drivers who lose sight suddenly like this have an increased likelihood of driving into oncoming traffic, causing accidents. This is why many HID replacements are not street legal in the United States. However, it has also lead to a misnomer about aftermarket headlights here in the US.
Are LED headlights illegal in the United States?
Are LED lights street legal in the US?
The easy answer is no. Any bulb that is not properly directed and installed on your vehicle as a headlight (forward facing light) is not street legal in the US. This is not exclusive to LED lights, but includes any and all lights that project a beam pattern into the oncoming traffic of an adjacent lane while driving down the street. So it isn’t that LED headlights are illegal. Now if you get a knock off kit not custom made for your vehicle’s housing that throws light everywhere, that will certainly not be street legal.
DOT certification is complicated and can even be quite costly. While stock lighting options all undergo such testing, many aftermarket options do not. With this in mind, we have to make statements like these: these lights are technically only off-road compliant as headlights. However, as fog lights, they are completely street legal, and daytime running lights too in Europe. Technically in the States, these LED’s are not tested at the time of writing, though they may be in the future. The laws are always changing and updating, and you should always check with your local state and municipality just in case. Many individual cities and towns even have special laws regarding lighting and window tinting and much more. So you should educate yourself before you replace your headlights with any aftermarket solution that isn’t completely OEM.
With all of that disclaimer stuff out of the way, these LED’s are designed to work with your vehicle’s housing and direct light in a similar beam pattern to your stock lights. I’m friends with many local and State police, and your mileage certainly may vary, but what they tell me is that when they’re pulling someone over for headlight issues, it is either because a headlight is out or because it has insane amounts of glare. Almost every time that was recounted to me personally this was due to a HID or high intensity discharge Xenon light. These bulbs are typically a vibrant blue color and for a while they were all the rage. They certainly do put off a huge amount of lumens, but unfortunately, they often overshot the beam pattern of stock housing, causing crazy amounts of glare into oncoming traffic, which as stated above is dangerous.
Now we cannot guarantee that this will be your experience; however, these LED’s from Morimoto are designed to mirror the stock beam pattern and prevent glare like those HID’s. In our personal opinion, the likelihood that you would get a ticket for having these kinds of lights installed is insanely low. Again, we don’t know your local law enforcement and anything is possible, but the tech specs are within OEM standards as far as beam patterns are concerned, so you should be in the clear.
With all that said, we sell these as fog lights for just that reason here in the States. So please use them accordingly or assume all responsibility yourself. Do note that many of us have been driving around with these LED’s or another brand for years now without any tickets to date--let me quickly run and find some wood to knock on. Haha!
Overall, we think these NEW and improved 2Stroke 3.0 LED’s from Morimoto really knock it out of the park. If you want more details on why you should upgrade to LED’s today, please check out our blog post on lights or give us a call anytime to talk to our parts experts.
Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED Bulbs - Innovation + Performance
Our Promise of Exceptional Service and the Lowest Prices on the Interwebs
When you’re ready to order your Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 LED Headlight and Fog Light Bulbs, we hope you’ll get yours from us here at Midwest Aftermarket. We only promote products we believe in and sell them at the lowest prices, shipping quickly to you for free if you’re in the lower 48 states. We have an excellent return policy and strive to get you the right product in perfect condition the first time.
What are you waiting for? Give us a call or place an order directly through our website. We’ll get your product out to you ASAP so you can enjoy your vehicle and make it your own. If you have a vision of what your truck or Jeep could be, let us help you achieve that image, that goal. We put aftermarket right at the tip of your fingers on your smartphone, web browser, and even via various apps, making ordering the parts you need super easy. Let us help make your aftermarket dream possible. Let us help you build your dream machine. We want you to drive the truck or Jeep of your dreams right now. So when you get it installed and love it, make sure you share us some pics on social media so we can live vicariously through you. Because we too are aftermarket enthusiasts, truck and Jeep owners, who love and own many of the products we sell. In other words, we don’t just work aftermarket--we are aftermarket.
Midwest Aftermarket's collection of air intakes, pickup bed covers, truck running boards, and much more includes all the leading styles and brands. Midwest Aftermarket is the #1 online retailer for aftermarket truck and Jeep accessories, selling products at the lowest prices and providing the best customer service in the industry. With the goal to provide the highest quality product with the fastest shipping at affordable prices, look no further for your vehicle’s aftermarket accessories. From UTV’s to Jeep-fanatics to F150’s or Chevy Silverado’s, Midwest Aftermarket will give you the customer support you deserve. Ask us about our new 2 day shipping options available on many of our fine aftermarket accessories.